Wednesday, April 3, 2024

FOLLOW ME.

 


APRIL 3.
 
Follow me.
John 21:19

 
THIS is,
   copy my example,
     imitate my conduct,
         walk as I walked.
 
Jesus is God's living law;
  the precepts of the gospel walking before us,
   and speaking to us.
 
But if I follow Christ,
   where will he leave me?
 
He will lead you to Jordan to confess him;
  to the wilderness to be tempted with him;
  to the House of prayer to worship with his people;
  to the sick, the poor, and the sorrowful, to labour for him;
  to secret retirement to hold fellowship with him;
  to the world to be persecuted for his sake;
  to the cross to crucify the old man with his deeds; and,
   finally, to glory, to be for ever with him.
 
If you follow Jesus, carnal professors will
  not enjoy your company;
   the world will not admire your course;
      nor will Satan allow you to go on quietly.
 
If you follow Jesus, your heart must be renewed,
  your corruptions must be subdued,
  your motives must be purified, and
   you must be a new creature.
 
If Jesus lead you, you will be safe.
 
If you catch his spirit, copy his life, and
  keep him in sight,
    you will be peaceful, useful, and happy.
 
O! to imitate Jesus today,
  in his lovely spirit, holy life, and useful death!
 
Lord, I would thy servant be,
Give me power to follow thee,
Power to die the death divine,
Power to live for ever thine.
 
James Smith 1849


No comments: