Sunday, April 14, 2024

THE LORD HELPED ME.

 

APRIL 14.
 
The Lord helped me.
Psalm 118:13

 
IF he had not, what would have become of me?
 
Can we not bear this testimony this morning,
  “The Lord helped me.”
 
Yes, before I knew his name,
  before I sought his face,
  before I ventured my soul on the
  finished work of his beloved Son,
    he helped me.
 
But since that happy period,
   in how many instances,
   in how many ways,
   by what a variety of instruments,
  has he helped me.
 
If he had not,
  conviction would have driven me to despair;
  Satan would have led me captive at his will;
  inbred lust would have gained the ascendency,
  my circumstances would have overbalanced me; and
  I had this day been a disgrace to religion, or
    have been shut up in hell.
 
But he said, “I will help thee.”
 
And I have ever found him
   “a very present help in trouble.”
 
Here I lift up my Ebenezer and,
  to the honour of his faithful love, say,
  “Hitherto the Lord hath helped me.”
 
Surely then I may with confidence conclude,
  that he will help me in time to come,
  and exclaim as David did,
    “Behold God is my helper:
      the Lord is with them that uphold my soul,”
 or rejoice and say
  “Because thou has been my help,
   therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.”
 
 
My help is in the Lord;
In danger he is near;
He wears an all victorious sword,
And will for me appear.
 
James Smith 1849
 

No comments: