Monday, September 14, 2020

AND JACOB SAID, I HAVE ENOUGH



September 14

Genesis 33:11  
Take, I pray thee, my blessing that is brought to thee; 
because God hath dealt graciously with me, and because 
I have enough. And he urged him, and he took it. 


Poor Jacob left his fathers house with only a staff, but he returned with two bands; so greatly had the Lord prospered him.

But it was not his earthly possessions, but the kindness of his brother, and the grace of his God, which led him to explain, “I have enough; or I have all things.”

Beloved, such language becomes us, as the object of Jehovah’s everlasting love, 
as interested in the well-ordered covenant;
as entitled to all the promises;
as invited to come to the throne of grace to receive all we need;
as directed to cast all our cares upon God;
as having a warrant to expect every good thing on earth, and glory at the journeys end;
ought we not to rejoice and shout, “I have enough.”

Enough to make me happy.

Enough to make me holy.

Enough to fill me with gratitude.

Enough to fill angels with wonder and devils with envy and vexation.

Oh Jesus! to want a height hast Thou raised us!

With what great, lasting, and glorious blessings hast Thou blessed us!

Everlasting praises to Thy name, and eternal glory to Thy sovereign Grace!

O to live in the world as one who hast enough!

Jesus is all I wish or want!
For Him I pray, I thirst, I pant;
Let others after earth aspire;
Christ is the treasure I desire;
He is an all-sufficient store;
Possess’d of Him, I wish no more.

James Smith

No comments: