Thursday, June 24, 2021

LEAD ME TO THE ROCK

 

EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith



JUNE 24
 
Psalm 61:2
From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, 
when my heart is overwhelmed: 
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
 
That rock was Christ.
 
He was the first promised, the prefigured, and then manifested.
 
He is the smitten rock, which supplies his thirsty ones; 
  the rock of ages, which sustains his feeble ones; 
  the great rock, which revives his weary ones; 
  the high rock, which protects his hunted ones; and 
  the cleft rock, which hides his timid and fearful ones.
 
In this rock we are safe.
 
From this rock, we can see the land which is very far off.
 
By this rock, we are sheltered from the storm, and screened from the scorching sun.
 
We often wander from it.
 
At a distance we learn its value, and sigh for the privilege it confers.
 
But wherever we may be, it is accessible to us.
 
Yet we need a guide to conduct us, and a friend to assist us.
 
Then let us determine with the Psalmist, however far off we may be:—
   ”From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee; 
    when my heart is overwhelmed,
     lead me to the rock that is higher than I.”
 
Jesus is all we need.
 
He has all we can possibly want.
 
Prayer is always allowed, approved, encouraged, rewarded.
 
Led to him, 
   we shall be raised above our fears, 
       above our foes, and 
            above our expectations.
 
When sorely afflicted, and ready to faint,
Before my Redeemer, I’ll spread my complaint:
In every new trial, to him will I cry,
In every new trial, to him will I cry,
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
 
James Smith

No comments: