Wednesday, October 25, 2023

THE CONFIDENCE

 OCTOBER 25

THE CONFIDENCE


Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4


Three things conspire to give the aged Christian confidence:
  the Word of God,
  the Spirit of God, and
   his past experience of God's faithfulness and love.


He has traveled with the Lord so long and so far;  
  the Word of God is so plain and so positive, and 
  he has always proved it so true,
  that he feels there is no ground for fear. 

Death itself is but the shadow of what it was, 
  since Jesus died; for he has abolished death, and 
  brought life and immortality to light by the gospel.


The valley may be long, and dark, and damp for us! 
  but Jesus has passed through it, and 
  driven everything injurious from it. 

Besides which, he will be with us 
  in the valley of the shadow of death. 
  He said to his servant John, 
  "Fear not; I am the first and the last: 
    I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, 
    behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; 
     and have the keys of hell and of death."

No one can open the 'door of death' 
  to a believer but Jesus.
And he always does it at the best moment, 
  and in the best manner, for 
    "precious in the sight of the Lord 
          are the death of his saints."

Nature always shrinks from death,
   but faith will look to Jesus as 
   the resurrection and the life, and welcome it; 
    but even when faith is not strong enough to welcome it,
    it will look to the great Shepherd and 
    expect that his rod will drive away all evil beasts,
    and that his staff will be lent to the soul to lean upon.


My aged friend, do not be frightened at a shadow.
 Do not be afraid to go where Jesus has gone before thee.

Look out for his foot-prints, listen to hear his voice,
  believe, and you shall find his grace made 
  perfect in your weakness.


Take the promise, look at it, place confidence in it, 
   "I will never leave thee, I will never, no never, 
   no never forsake thee" 
and then stand at the entrance of the valley and sing, 
   I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; 

We are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 
                                                          Romans 8:37


JAMES SMITH


No comments: