By Tom Wallace
INTRODUCTION: The Bible places a lot of accent on couples: There are 29 couples mentioned in the Bible.
THERE ARE 15 COUPLES WITH ONLY THE HUSBAND NAMED.
1. Cain & Wife
2. Lot & Wife
3. Job & Wife
4. Manoah & Wife
5. Sampson & Wife
6. Phinehas & Wife
7. Solomon & Wife
8. Jeroboahm & Wife
9. Naaman & Wife
10. Isaiah & Wife
11. Amaziah & Wife
12. Ezeliel & Wife
13. Belshazzer & Wife
14. Pilate & Wife
15. Cleopas & Wife
THERE ARE 21 MARRIAGES SPOKEN OF IN THE BIBLE
20. Cana couple
THERE ARE 13 CASES OF POLYGAMY
1. Lamech-two wives
2. Abraham-wife & Concubine
3. Esau-three wives
4. Jacob-four wives
5. Gideon-many wives
6. Elkanah-two wives
7. Saul-wife & concubine
8. David-eight wives
9. Solomon-700 wives - 300 concubine
10. Ahab-Jesebel & several
11. Rehoboahm-18 wives & 60 concubine
12. Abijah-14 wives
13. Joash-two wives
THERE ARE 18 CASES OF SEXUAL IMPURITY IN THE BIBLE
1. Men of Sodom
2. Lot's two daughters
3. Shechem raped Diana
4. Rueben-Fathers' concubine
5. Onan spilled seed
6. Tamar enticed Judah
7. Zimri's harlot companion
8. Sampson & a harlot
9. Hophni & Phinehas
10. David with Bathsheba
11. Amnon raped half sister
12. Absolom's public sex
13. Gomer before & after
14. Samaritan's six men
15. Adulterous woman forgiven
16. Woman who washed Jesus feet.
17. Corinthian & fahter's wife
18. Jezebel II - Thyatira
A well known Sociologist wrote, "the most dangerous place in our society is the home."
- 8 million assaulted by members of own families.
- More policemen killed each year in family disputes than any other line of duty.
- 16 of 100 couples have violent confrontations each year
- Of the 16, 6 are severe kicking, biting, or punching.
- In 4, the wife is seriously beaten by husband.
- In 3, children are kicked, bitten, or punched.
- 35% of brothers and sisters attack each other.
- Highest are under 30 with no religious affiliation.
- We live in a "ME" society. (self-living)
- "Our Pants"
1. A HOME SHOULD BE SET UP ON BIBLICAL GROUNDS.
- Only believers should get married. (DAVE & PEGGY)
- Love does not justify marriage.
- Pregnancy does not justify marriage.
- Family traditions are not always biblical.
- Social planners are not usually biblical.
- The "RIGHTS" crowd make poor risks.
- Divorced people are high risk and unscriptural.
2. THE HOLY SPIRIT SHOULD BE GIVEN HIS PROPER PLACE.
- Unseen guest at every meal.
- Spirit filled man and woman will be ideally happy.
3. THE HOME SHOULD BE BUILT AROUND THE LOCAL CHURCH & SCHOOL
- Preacher who said he wanted to find a good church & move there, get job & build around church schedule.
- Consider services appointments with God, like doctor.
- Place of worship, learning, service, social, etc.
4. THE WORLD MUST BE KEPT OUT.
- The world Fascinates - then Assinates
- The world Thrills - then Kills
- The world Delights - then Blights
- The world Pays - then Enslaves
The world is an enemy of character. Those without character become feeling oriented.
During the last 20-30 years we've had a strong drift toward feeling & experience religion. THE REASONS:
1. Television influence.
2. Rock Music.
3. Humanistic Influence.
To offset these influences & minimize this intrusion.
- Cut T.V. Watching down or out.
- Provide stories, books, readers, that teach character.
- Use slogans. "Do Right", "Quitters never win", "Pray Without Ceasing", etc.
- Set a positive example.
- Projects of action: Paper route, Lawn cutting, chores, trips, fishing, camping, etc.
- Emphasis on accountability. Must keep books on allowance and spending, report on dates. (Debbie)
5. GIVE DAD HIS PLACE IN THE HOME.
- He is God's High Priest & accountable to God.
- Not a dictatior but a leader. (great difference)
- He must set up guidelines. (give freedom within)
- He must assume authority. (someone will)
- Delegate responsibility. (involve everybody) use-lose
- Supervise. (T. Dollar-control) Not what we expect-inspect
- Build his ego, never tear down. (food & love)
6. GIVE MOM HER PLACE IN THE HOME.
- She needs security. (especially at mid life.) (When she starts caulking instead of powering)
- She has a homemaker and mothering instinct.
- Needs to feel loved. (Ky-She ain't got no mule)
- SEVEN THINGS WOMEN SAID MADE THEM FEEL LOVED:
1. Understanding and sympathy.
2. Thoughtfulness in little (flowers, candy, birthday)
3. Verbal reassurance.
4. Physical attention - Kiss bye & Hello.
5. Positive attitude.
6. Feeling needed.
7. Assurance that he's right with God.
1. Scheduling. (If you want supper it will be a 6:00)
2. Spending. Keep him off balance with credit cards. (Playing Teddy Roosevelt - CHARGE)
3. Sex. Powerful tool
4. Sickness. Backache, Headache, teeth itch.
5. Sobbing. Most powerful one,Man feel guilty,helpless.
6. Spirituality - Many women get ahead, & use it as tool
7. Silence. "Tell your father, I'm not speaking to him.
8. Suicide or Divorce threat. (95 yr. old)
7. GIVE THE CHILDREN A GOOD PLACE IN THE HOME.
- If lawn is to be attractive - It needs attention.
- If house is to look nice - It needs attention.
- If car is to look good - It needs attention.
- If kids are to turn out - they need attention.
- There must be discipline and training.
- Instill in them automatic understandings. (TTU)
- Set example for kids.(Have their respect)
- Will of parent must prevail over the child.
- Don't speak 7 times (Last time I'll say last time)
- Never, Never spontaneous smack or spank. (Go to bed and wait.)
- MOMMY, there's a peach growing on the peach tree.
- Rice: "Wait 3 weeks on girls, start on boys right away"
- Don't want to clone them but cultivate them.
- Teach them to be God controlled, not feeling controlled.
Illustration: Two little girls - One held by her foot on a rail road overpass With the train approaching, The other held by her love refused to leave her friend. Both killed by the train.