Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Lament of a Pastor's Wife


I was born one mornin', heard the church bells ring;
I picked up a hymnal and started to sing;
Got a preacher for a husband, and my-o-me
Got sixteen jobs plus a fam-i-ly.


You get sixteen jobs and what do ya get?
Another day older and more troubles yet,
St. Peter, don't you call me, 'cause I can't go
Gotta stand on Sunday at the church front do'.

Gotta lead prayer meetin', take a class to teach,
Gotta play the organ or the people will screech
How the last preacher's wife did this and mo'
And then when I do it, say I'm runnin' the show.


You try so hard and what do ya get?
Hearing other people's troubles till you fuss and fret,
St. Peter, don't call me, 'cause I can't go
Got a covered dish supper and a whole lot mo'.

My clothes are the subject for a lot of talk;
I buy a fancy outfit and members all gawk;
I wear last year's and the people all say
I oughta do better on what they pay.


Gotta please everybody, watch what I say;
Gotta be on my toes every hour of the day;
St. Peter, don't you call me, 'cause I can t go
Got a fellowship meeting this evenin' at fo'.

Gotta be on call every day and night
The worst things happen when I look a fright,
The chairman of the Board will decide to come by
When my hair is in curlers and my girdle ain't dry.


Got no life of my own, it, seems to me
I never have an hour of privacy,
St. Peter, don't you call me, cause I can't go
Sister Jones is a-knocking at my back do'.

Shake hands with the elders and smile at the wives;
The last one that leaves and the first that arrives;
Got a preacher for a husband, but never see him 'til
The dead is buried and the sick gets well.


Be a preacher's wife and what do ya get?
A host of friends and the fullest life yet.
St. Peter, don't you call me, 'cause I can't go,
Want to stand on Sunday at the church front do'.

tune to 16 tons

copied The Baptist Challenge - March '86

1 comment:

Phyllis Blickensderfer said...

I can almost hear Ernie Ford singing that! Must share with our pastor's wife.