Thursday, August 17, 2023

COME, AND HE WILL GIVE YOU REST.

 



AUGUST 17


 

COME, AND JESUS WILL GIVE YOU REST.
 
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways,
and see, and ask for the old paths,
 where is the good way, and walk therein, and
 ye shall find rest for your souls. 
But they said,
             We will not walk therein.         
                                                Jeremiah 6:16
 
Every sinner is restless;
  for the immortal soul can only find rest in God.
 
We labor to deserve at God's hands.
We labor to silence an accusing conscience.
We labor to satisfy the cravings of our immortal nature.
 
But all our labors fail.
 
We are still restless.
  We try to rest in church rituals, but it will not do.
  We try to rest in duties, but it will not do.
  We try to rest in our promises for the future, but it will not do.
 
We go to the law; it gives no rest.
  We try the world; it gives no rest.
    Everything is full of labor.
 
But who enjoys rest?
 
The Christian, and the Christian only,
   enjoys soul-satisfying repose.
 
Where does he find it?
In the world?               No.
In the church?             No.
In his own works?       No.
In his experience?       No.
 
He finds it in Jesus, and in Jesus only.
 
He alone gives rest, true, solid, soul-satisfying rest.
 
Hear him, my reader; his sweet voice is now saying,
  "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden,
   and I will give you rest."
 
Mark the terms, "Come;" not, go work, go seek, go suffer.
 
"Come unto me;" I am great, good, glorious.
  All things are delivered unto me of my Father.
 
I have . . .
  all you need,
  all you can consistently desire,
  all you can really enjoy.

"Come unto me" 
  I am ready to receive you,
    I am waiting to bless you,
      I am willing to satisfy you.
"I will give you rest."
 
 I will
  take your cares,
  meet all your claims,
  supply all your needs,
  soothe all your sorrows,
  bear all your burdens, and
  enrich you with unsearchable wealth!
 
Come, come then to Jesus, poor restless sinner.
He is the only ark for thee, a weary dove.
He is the only refuge for thee, a guilty criminal.
He is the only home for thee, a weary, way-worn, exhausted traveler.
 
It is in vain to go elsewhere;
   come to Jesus, and enter into rest.
 
For thus saith the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel;
  In returning and rest shall ye be saved;
  in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength:
    and ye would not.             Isaiah 30:15


James Smith 1855

No comments: