Monday, January 15, 2024

DRAW NIGH UNTO MY SOUL.

 


JANUARY 14
 
Draw nigh unto my soul.
Psalm 69:18

 

The Lord's presence is the Christian joy, and 
  distance from God is always a cause of grief.
 
But it is in seasons of trouble and sorrow that
  the Lord’s presence is most earnestly sought.
 
If the Lord is sensibly nigh unto us, 
  we can pour out our griefs into his bosom, 
    and tell out all our fears before his face.
 
Nearness to God gives us 
  confidence in danger, 
    courage in conflict, 
      peace in adversity, and
        joy in sorrow.
 
If the Lord draw nigh unto us 
  he will commune with us, and 
     communicate spiritual blessings to us.
 
If the Lord draw nigh under us, 
   Satan will retire into the distance, and
     our corruptions will be easily subdued.
 
If the Lord draw nigh unto us, 
   life will be pleasant, and 
     death will have no terrors.
 
O to live near to God!
 
O to find the Lord drawing nigh unto the soul, 
  when providence frowns, 
   when foes increase, and 
    when every thing appears to be against us!
 
My dear friends, 
  do you ever plead with God thus?
 
Do you ever cry,
   “Lord draw nigh unto my soul!”
 
Jesus did, for it was his language. 
David did, for he wrote the words.
 

Ah me, I'm never well, but when
I on my best beloved lean,
And then I'm never ill;
Crosses and trials all are right,
And pain is sweet, and trouble light.
When Christ my soul doth fill.
 

James Smith 1849

No comments: