Monday, March 4, 2024

NEITHER GIVE PLACE TO THE DEVIL

 


March 4, 2024
 
Neither give place to the devil.
Ephesians 4:27
 

SATAN is pleased to see us angry, and
   endeavors to render us implaceable.
 
But when betrayed into a passion,
  we should realize its sinfulness, confess it to God, and
  be ready to forgive those who have provoked us.
 
To indulge in a passion, or a sulky temper,
  is to give place to the devil.
 
He is sure to tempt us to do so, but
  he should be firmly and constantly resisted.
 
If we give place to the devil,
  we shall become vengeful, unforgiving, and hardened;
  and if we yield to him in one point,
  he will soon try us upon another, and
  will never cease until he leads us to apostacy or backsliding.
 
He is always watching us, plotting against us,
  and seeking to draw us into sin.
 
We should therefore be very concerned
  to maintain a tender conscience,
  to be humble before God, and
  to walk in close and intimate fellowship with the Lord Jesus,
  who overcame him for us, and will overcome him by us.
 
Satan will often try to harden and mislead us,
  by suggesting that we should maintain our dignity,
  and refused to humble ourselves.
 
 
Give me, Lord, a humbled mind,
Make me courteous, meek, and kind;
Cure my temper, keep my heart,
Let me ne’er from thee depart;
Help me to o’ercome my foe,
And in me thy mercy show.
 
James Smith 1849

No comments: