Tuesday, October 15, 2024

MY FATHER.

 

My Father.
Jeremiah 3:4

 
THIS is a child’s cry: a word which no
  slave was allowed to use.
 
It is full of meaning.
It is full of love.
It is full of comfort.
It is a title which the Lord loves to hear us use,
  therefore, he says,
  “Wilt thou not call me, MY FATHER.”
 
Lord, give us the Spirit of adoption this morning, and
  let us see and feel,
  that we are thy children!
 
Believer, to whom will you repair in trouble?
To whom will you look in difficulty?
To whom will you cry in danger?
From whom will you expect and what?
 
Surely, I hear you say, “MY FATHER.”
 
And who speaks to you in the Bible?
Who tries you by his providence?
Who chastens you with his rod?
Who strips and cleanse you?
Who humbles and reproves you?
 
And again you will say, “MY FATHER.”
 
Who supports the world?
Who controls the nations?
Who chains up Satan?
Who blesses the church?
Who comforts the believer?
Who pardons the backslider?
Who received the sinner?
 
And again, you reply, “MY FATHER.”
 
Then I exhort you to trust your FATHER’S word,
  abide in your FATHER’S house,
  expect from your FATHER’S hand, and
   say in every trial, “I will arise and go to my FATHER.”
 
God is my Father, then I see,
He will all good bestow
In everlasting love to me,
His mercies daily flow.
 
James Smith 1849


No comments: