Thursday, February 13, 2020

Search me, O God.




February 13   Search me, O God.   Psalms 139:23

Search me, O God, and know my heart:
try me, and know my thoughts:

None can search the heart but God; none are desirous or willing for the heart to be searched but real Christians.

A believer desires to know the worst. He dreads deception. Grace has made him honest, and he prays, “Lord, search me.”

If a man wants to search, he would expose, irritate, and injure us; but if God search, He will humble, strengthen, and heal us. The man who sees himself in the light of truth, and knows himself as the effect of divine searching, cannot trust himself for one moment; he flies from self to Jesus; from law to grace; he loathes himself; and while he confidently trusts in Jesus, and rejoices in hope, he walks humbly with his God.

He cannot boast, he dares not presume; but walks in holiness, and ascribes all to free grace.

Beloved, take the heart to Jesus to be searched.

He says “I am He that searcheth the hearts and trieth the reins.” If He search you, He will save you from deception, self-righteousness, and every false way.

Be this your daily prayer, “Search me, O God, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Examine me, O Lord, and prove me: try my reins and my heart.”

Let a man examine himself. You need searching.

Lord, search my heart, and try my ways,
And make my soul sincere;
Then shall I stand before thy face,
And find acceptance there.

James Smith

No comments: