Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Ye Do Dishonour Me



February 26

Ye do dishonour me.

John 8:49 Jesus answered, I have not a devil;
but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me.

This is a complaint brought against us by our Lord Jesus Christ. Let us listen to it. He has assured us of His love, that He seeks our good, that He will not be wroth with us;

we dishonor Him therefore by our fretfulness, under trials and troubles;

by our murmuring when all is not as we wish;
by our impatience to be delivered from pain;
by our unbelief in reference to His promises and providence; 
by our unthankfulness for the many mercies we have receive;
by employing His favours in Satan’s service;
by limiting His power or His goodness;
by omitting duties from want of love, or zeal;
by relying on our services instead of free grace;
and by looking to others, instead of looking only and always to Him for all.

Dishonouring  Jesus must be a great sin; it produces deadness, darkness, and misery; let us realize its criminality, lament it before God, seek repentance for it, and forgiveness of it.

Oh, let us aim to honor Jesus by gratitude, patience, faith, love, forbearance, penitence, zeal, and constantly aiming at His glory!

To honor Him in life, death, and forever!

Lord, draw my heart from earth away,
And make it only know thy call;
Speak to my inmost soul, and say,
“I am thy  Saviour, God, thine all!”
Nor let me more dishonour Thee,
But thy devoted servant be.

James Smith

No comments: