Monday, January 11, 2021

DRAW ME

EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith 

 
 
JANUARY 11
 
Song of Solomon 1:4
Draw me, we will run after thee: the king hath brought me
into his chambers: we will be glad and rejoice in thee, we will
 remember thy love more than wine: the upright love thee.
 
Sweet and precious is the invitation of Jesus; but we feel that something more than the invitation is necessary.
 
There is often a want of inclination; the soul is sluggish, the heart is heavy, a host of things interpose to keep us from his fulness.
 
His invitation is a full and sufficient warrant, we may go to him, we may go with confidence, we may go when we will, and for all we need;
his heart is kind, his resources are thrown open, his word is true; but we need the drawings of the Holy Spirit.
 
Our weakness, our reluctance, the difficulties we meet with, makes us cry, “Draw me;” he has drawn us, else, we had never approached him;
 for he has said, “No man can come unto me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him.”
 
This drawing is the effect and proof of eternal love, hence we read,
 
“I have loved thee with an everlasting love, therefore with loving-kindness have I drawn thee.” The Lord’s drawings are so sweet that we yield before we are aware, “I draw them with cords of love;” they are natural, they always prevail, “I draw as with the bands of a man.”
 
May Jesus draw us from the world, from sin, and from self to-night.
 
O lead me to thy mercy-seat,
Attract me nearer still;
Draw me like Mary to thy feet,
To sit and learn thy will.
 
James Smith


No comments: