Monday, January 18, 2021

YE THAT LOVE THE LORD.


 EVENING DEVOTIONS by James Smith



JANUARY 18
 
Psalm 97:10
Ye that love the LORD, hate evil: he preserveth the souls
of his saints; he delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked.
 
Exhortations to the plainest duties are necessary, for sometimes we forget, but more often sink into a lukewarm, indifferent frame of soul.
 
Do we love the Lord?
 
If so, we love his people,
   his ordinances,
      his gospel, and
          his law.
 
We love his prohibitions as well as his promises, knowing that he only prohibits what would do us an injury.
 
Can we to-night join with David, and say
    “O how I love thy law, it is my meditation all the day!”
 
 The law prohibits all evil.
 
Let us hate evil thoughts, and strive against them.
 
Let us hate evil words, and keep the mouth as with a bridle.
 
Let us hate evil works and abstain from all appearance of evil.
 
The evils of the heart are the worst, as all other evils flow from them: especially let us beware of an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God.
 
Would you hate evil?
 
Then walk close with God, be in much fellowship with him,
   and so will holiness become your element,
         and every species of evil your abhorrence.
 
Lovers of God, set your hearts, set your fears against evil;
 “follow peace with all men, and holiness without which no man shall see the Lord.”
 
Lord, whom I love, to thee I give
My soul, my life, my all:
To thee would I devoted live.
And ne’er the gift recall.
 
James Smith
 

No comments: