Friday, May 21, 2021

WHEN WILT THOU COMFORT ME?

 

EVENING DEVOTION BY James Smith



MAY 21
 
Psalm 119:82
Mine eyes fail for thy word, saying,
When wilt thou comfort me? 
 
The Lord’s people often get into a very uncomfortable state, and 
  sometimes they continue in that state for a long season. 
    But there is always some cause for it, and 
       we should seek to know what that cause is,
          that it may be removed.
 
It is not easy to give an answer to the inquiry, for it must depend on the character of the inquirer.
 
The Lord may say, 
“When you humble yourself before me, cordially approve of my method, and submit to my righteousness.”
 
To another, 
“When you frankly confess your sin, seek pardon through the blood of Christ, and engage to walk according to my word.”
 
To another,
 “When you break off the unscriptural connection, come out from the world, and separate yourself unto me.”
 
To another, “When you leave off seeking comfort from selfish motives, and aim at and endeavour to promote my glory.”
 
To another, 
“When you leave the bed of sloth, stir yourself to take hold of me, and seek to make others happy.”
 
To another,
 “When you enter upon that self-denying duty, mortify the flesh with its affections and lusts, or put off the old man with his deeds.”
 
May holiness be my pursuit,
Thy promises my plea;
So shall I bring firth precious fruit,
And thou wilt comfort me.
 
James Smith
 

No comments: