Saturday, June 23, 2007

A Powerful Testimony by John Sunday


"I understand," said John Sunday, the converted Indian chief, to a congregation which he was called to address at Plymouth, England, in the year 1837, "that many of you are disappointed because I have not brought my Indian dress with me.

Perhaps if I had it on you would be afraid of me. Do you wish to know how I dressed when I was a pagan Indian? I will tell you. My face was covered with red paint. I stuck feathers in my hair. I wore a blanket and leggings. I had silver ornaments on my breast, a rifle on my shoulder, a tomahawk and scalping-knife in my belt.

That was my dress then. Do you wish to know why I wear it no longer?

You will find the cause in 2Cor. 5:17. `Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things have passed away: behold, all things are new.'

When I became a Christian, feathers and paint `passed away.' I gave my silver ornaments to the mission cause. Scalping-knife `done away.'

That, my tomahawk, (holding up a copy of the ten commandments, in the Ojibwa language.) Blanket `done away.' "Behold," he exclaimed in a manner in which simplicity and dignity of character were combined, "`behold, all things are become new!'"




No comments: