Monday, September 20, 2021

I WILL WALK IN THY TRUTH

 
EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith




SEPTEMBER 20

Psalm 86:11
Teach me thy way, O LORD;
I will walk in thy truth:
unite my heart to fear thy name.
 
God’s truth is opposed to many of our customs, prejudices, and inclinations.
 
It requires what our depraved nature thinks hard, and prohibits what we naturally love.
 
The resolution therefore is noble.
 
It reflects honour upon him who formed it.
 
Let us follow his example.
 
To walk in the truth so to believe it.
 
To receive it into the mind, as a communication from God.
 
To place confidence in it.
 
But faith without works is dead, therefore it includes the practice of it.
 
The true Christian prays, “Teach me to do thy will.”
 
He purposes, “I will run in the way of thy commandments,” for there is the enjoyment of the truth.
 
It brings us glad tidings.
 
It furnishes us with a feast as well as a rule.
 
It charms while it corrects.
 
It consoles while it requires.
 
It makes us happy as well as holy; or rather it makes us happy by making us holy.
 
If we believe the truth, let us profess the truth, and let our profession be open, sincere, and scriptural.
 
If we have made profession of the truth, let it be our daily vocation to adorn it; to walk worthy of the vocation wherewith we are called in all godliness and honesty.
 
Thou Great Instructor, lest I stray,
O teach me erring feet the way:
Thy truth with ever fresh delight,
Shall guide my doubtful footsteps right
 
James Smith


No comments: