Sunday, September 5, 2021

YET I WILL REJOICE IN THE LORD

 


EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith




SEPTEMBER 5
 
Habakkuk 3:18
Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, 
I will joy in the God of my salvation.
 
This was a wise determination.
 
Every thing around us, and everything within us may change, but the Lord changes not.
 
He is the same.
 
Light may give place to darkness, peace to war, health to sickness, plenty to poverty, case to suffering, and society to loneliness.
 
Still we may be happy.
 
We may rise above circumstances.
 
We may rejoice that through much is lost, we have more than we can ever lose.
 
But if we would imitate the prophet, we must make sure of our interest in the Lord, of our title to all the promises of his word; we must know that our sins are pardoned, that we are at peace with him, that he is our fast and faithful friend.
 
Then we may rejoice in him at all times, for his fulness is our fortune, his power is our defence, his love is our solace, his promises are our security, his throne is our place of safety, and his presence is our heaven.
 
Everything in God, has a tendency to make us happy and everything that is done by God, will promote our everlasting welfare.
 
We may well say, “Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the flock shall be cast off from the fold, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation.”
 
God is the treasure of my soul,
The source of lasting joy,
A joy which want shall not impair,
Nor death itself destroy.
 
James Smith

No comments: