Thursday, September 9, 2021

TESTIFY AGAINST ME

 

EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith




SEPTEMBER 8
Micah 6:3
O my people, what have I done unto thee? and
wherein have I wearied thee? testify against me.
 
By our conduct we often reflect upon the Lord.
 
We treat him with neglect and disrespect, preferring creatures or worldly things before him.
 
He speaks of this conduct as if it went to his heart.
 
He says, “O my people, what have I done unto thee? and wherein have I wearied thee? testify against me.”
 
Have you neglected the closet?
 
Have you slighted the means of grace?
 
Have you laid your bible on one side and left it unopened?
 
Have you withdrawn your thoughts and your affections from God, and given them to the world?
 
Why is this?
 
What reason have you for doing so?
 
The Lord asks you why?
 
He says, “Have you any charges against me? Bring them forward.
 
Have I treated you unkindly?
 
Have I been false to my word?
 
Have I acted in any way unbecoming my character? Tell me, why do you treat me with neglect? Why do you prefer my enemy, the world, to me?
 
Tell out your reasons, let me know all; anything but this shyness, this distance, this indifference.”
 
O believer! are you not guilty?
 
Have you not wounded you God?
 
Have you not grieved his Holy Spirit?
 
Return to thy injured Lord.
 
Behold again I turn to thee,
Oh! cast me not away, though vile:
No peace I have, no joy I see,
O Lord my God! but in thy smile.
 
James Smith

No comments: