Thursday, September 9, 2021

THEY SAY UNTO GOD, DEPART FROM US

 

EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith




SEPTEMBER 7
Job 21:14
Therefore they say unto God, Depart from us; 
for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways.
 
This is what the ungodly do.
 
His presence is offensive to them.
 
They wish there was no God.
 
But as there is one, they wish to keep at a distance from him. This is not your case.
 
It was once.
 
It would have been this evening but for grace.
 
You desire the presence of God, this is the effect of his love.
 
You have seen something of his glory, in the person of Jesus Christ.
 
You have tasted that he is gracious.
 
You are reconciled to him, and are at peace with him. You have nothing to fear from him, therefore you desire that he would come unto you; and manifest himself to you soul as he does not unto the world.
 
You say. “My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God; when shall I come and appear before God.”
 
Those who now say unto God, “Depart from us,” will one day hear him say—”Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.”
 
But you who now invite him to your hearts and your homes, will hear him invite you, saying, “Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.”
 
My God, I cannot say “depart,”
But, “Come and dwell with me:
Take full possession of my heart,
And keep me close to thee.”
 
James Smith

No comments: