Sunday, March 7, 2021

THY FATHER WHICH SEETH IN SECRET.

 

EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith



MARCH 7
 
Matthew 6:6
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet,
and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy
Father which is in secret; and thy Father which
seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
 
Can any one hide himself in secret places from the Lord?
 
Can a Christian under any circumstances escape his notice? 

Impossible! 

The eye of God has been fixed upon me every moment of this day:
 it is now at this moment fixed full upon me. 

But it is a Father’s eye. My Father seeth us in secret.
 
He seeth the secret working of my foes, and will save me from them.
 
He sees every secret influence which is likely to injure me, and will prevent it.
 
He sees the secret workings of my heart.
 
My hidden thoughts.
 
My unuttered desires. My soul conflicts. My private temptations.
 
He sees me withdraw for prayer, or sees me cast up my imploring eye to him when I cannot. He sees my wants and woes.
 
But he sees also my secret sins, every evil thought, every improper action, every unbecoming word, passes under his eye.
 
Solemn consideration!
 
May it make me cautious. May it prevent me from yielding to temptation, from encouraging improper suggestions, and from acting inconsistent with my profession.
 
My heavenly Father seeth me, seeth my most secret motives, thoughts, and purposes.
 
O may these thoughts possess my breast,
Where’er I rove, where’er I rest!
Not let my weaker passions dare
Consent to sin, for God is there.
 
James Smith

No comments: