Saturday, July 10, 2021

EXAMINE ME O LORD

 

EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith




JULY 10
 
Psalm 26:2
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me;
try my reins and my heart.
 
The Lord says, “Let a man examine himself.”
 
The Christian does so, but not satisfied with his own searching, 
he turns to the Lord and says, “Examine me O Lord.”
 
He is afraid of being deceived, and he knows that his heart is deceitful.
 
He is really sincere.
 
He desires to know the worst of his case, let it be ever so painful.
 
He would have his heart right with God, therefore he comes to the light.
 
This is a proof that there is grace in the soul; 
  for only those who are taught of God, 
    cry, “Examine me, O Lord.”
 
Beloved, is this your prayer to-night?
 
Are you willing to be examined?
 
Are you desirous that God should examine you?
 
Are you crying, “Lord, examine my heart, am I a subject of thy grace?”
 
Examine my motives, are they pure and scriptural?
 
Examine my actions, are they according to thy word?
 
Examine my objects, do I am at thy glory and the promotion of thy cause?
 
You see the prayer is for personal examination.
 
“Examine me.”
 
It is for immediate examination, bow examine me.
 
None but an honest man will court a thorough investigation into his affairs, 
  and none but right-minded Christians will court the searching eye of God.
 
Search me, O God, and cleanse my heart,
Thy Spirit and thy grace impart;
Save form deceit, from guile set free,
And key my soul thy temple be.
 
James Smith

No comments: