R-Roseburg, District 1
900 Court St. NE, S-211 Salem Oregon 97301
E-Newsletter Number 1, Volume 1
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
First I would like to let you know I appreciate all of the responses I have been receiving to my newsletters and one common theme lately has been a question as to where our country is headed. As a student of history I have wondered myself, so I thought I might take a brief break from events in Salem and look back into history to the year 1963.
What follows are not my words, they were read into the Congressional Record on January 10, 1963 by the Honorable A.S. Herlong, Jr. who was a Congressman from Florida. While the Congressional Record has not been digitized this far back, this has been checked for accuracy.
My purpose in doing this is simply to give us some perspective and something to think about. I have included 26 of the 45 points made in the speech. My conclusions after reading the speech are irrelevant to the purpose of this letter, as I know you are very capable of reaching your own. I also know 1963 was very different than today, however, sometimes a look back can be informative.
COMMUNIST GOALS IN THE US
1. Develop the illusion that total disarmament by the US would be a demonstration of moral strength
2. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war
3. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites
4. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination
5. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the UN
6. Promote the UN as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces
7. Do away with all loyalty oaths
8. Continue to give Russia access to the US Patent Office
9. Capture one or both political parties in the US
10. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights
11. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teacher’s associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
12. Gain control of all student newspapers
13. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under communist attack
14. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, and policy making positions
15. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures
16. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press
17. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground it violates the principle of “separation of church and state”
18. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis
19. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the common man
20. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history
21. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture-education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
22. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions
23. Infiltrate and gain control of big business
24. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but a psychiatrist can understand
25. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce
26. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents
For those who have read this far, it does give us some things to think about.
Senator Jeff Kruse
Thanks Dean for the email.