Thursday, February 19, 2009

Watch Your Wake

“None of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself” –Rom. 14:7


While working out at the gym the other day I was talking to a friend who is in the boating business. He told me about a sign he has posted on the bridge of his boat. It simply says: “Watch You Wake.” I asked him what that meant. He said as a boat is propelled through the water it leave behind waves (a wake) that could be dangerous to other smaller vessels or erode the shoreline. Therefore, a person at the controls needs to be aware that his wake affects others in the area. “Watch Your Wake.”


As I reflected on this simple saying I thought how it should apply to our lives. As you and I travel through life, we are leaving a wake behind. We are leaving concentric ripples of influence upon others around us. We need to watch our wake, lest we “capsize” some smaller vessel or erode the coastline of our relationships.


Beware of being a stumbling block to others (Rom. 14:21; 1 Cor. 8:9).

an email from Al Hughes

No comments: