Tuesday, February 9, 2021

I GIVE MYSELF UNTO PRAYER .

 

EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith


FEBRUARY 9
 
Psalm 109:4
For my love they are my adversaries:
but I give myself unto prayer.
 
Watchfulness and prayer should be always united.
 
The praying Chrisitan should watch, and the watching Christian should pray.
 
The one exercise helps us in the other. We should be given to prayer as to our business, our daily occupation.
 
It will preserve us from innumerable evils, and bring invaluable blessings into our possession.
 
God loves to hear us pray.
 
The prayer of the upright is his delight.
 
May be impressed with this idea whenever we go upon our knees, God loves to see me approach him, he delights to hear me plead with him.
 
He listened to me with a Father’s heart.
 
He is grieved when I neglect his throne, and cannot approve of my hurrying over my devotions, as I sometimes do. He says, “Come.” “Come boldly.”
 
If we disregard his word or slight his invitation he will send some trial, raise some storm, or let loose some enemy to drive us to this throne.
 
If we could hear the voice of our troubles distinctly, or understand its language, we should hear it shout, “To your knees, and call upon you God.”
 
Father into my heart convey
The power incessantly to pray
And plead a Saviour’s blood:
In love thy Holy Spirit give,
In me to work, and breathe, and live,
That I may walk with God.
 
James Smith

No comments: