Wednesday, February 10, 2021

MY SOUL THIRSTETH FOR GOD ,

 

EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith



FEBRUARY 10
 
Psalm 42:2
My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God:
when shall I come and appear before God?
 
It is not enough for the true Christian to know that God is for him,
   he wants to realize his presence,
      to hold sweet fellowship with him, and
           to enjoy his love.
 
Being created anew in Christ Jesus, he has an appetite to feed upon, and enjoy divine communications; nor can he be satisfied without them.
 
He longs and prays for the gracious presence of His God, and finds it his joy, his strength, and his delight; but if denied this favour he is depressed, dissatisfied, and cast down.
 
Ordinances, without God, are to him dry breasts;
the Scriptures without God, are a light without heat;
 the choicest privileges, without God are like provisions presented to one parched with fever.
 
God is his life, the presence of God is his element, the joy of the Lord is his strength, and without God he is lifeless, sickly, and sorrowful.
 
My friend, is this your experience?
 
Are you in any degree acquainted with it?
 
Can you be satisfied with cold knowledge, empty forms, or what is called religion without the enjoyment of God?
 
If you can, your state is very suspicious.
 
Beware of a religion without God.
 
Lord of heaven and earth, my trust
Seeks in thee its only rest:
For thy love I thirst, I sigh,
To my longing soul draw nigh:
Now thy glorious face unveil,
Let my faith and prayer prevail.
 
James Smith
 

No comments: