Friday, February 12, 2021

I WILL HOPE CONTINUALLY .

 

EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith


FEBRUARY 12
 
Psalm 71:14
But I will hope continually, and
will yet praise thee more and more.
 
I am warranted to do so, for the foundation of my hope remains immutably the same.
 
The character of my gracious God,
  the faithful promises of his word,
    the recorded history of his saints, and
      my own past experience,
all conspire to say, “Hope continually.”
 
I will hope, that God will be merciful to my unrighteousness;
  that he will support me under all my trials,
  that he will send me seasonsable relief, and timely deliverance;
  that good will flow from all my troubles;
  that grace will be brought unto me at the appearing of Jesus; 
 that eternal life will be my final portion.
 
“I will hope,” for I shall be injured if I do not,
   anxiety will torment my bosom,-
      despondency will brood my soul,-and
          I shall be filled with fearful forebodings.
 
“I will hope continually,” for hope honours God,
-it brightens prospects,
-it stimulates to prayer and exertion,
-and is the sweetener of human life.
 
But I will also remember, that my hope will be sorely tried;
Satan will try it,
  -the God of hope will try it,
    -a thousand things will try it
      ,-but a good hope will live, strengthen,
and work until it gives place to possession.
 
I will not despond. Why should I? I will not fear.
 
Let the winds blow, and the billows roll,
Hope is the anchor of my soul:
It fastens on a land unknown,
And moors me to my Father’s throne!
 
James Smith

No comments: