Monday, February 8, 2021

THOU KNOWEST THAT I LOVE THEE .

 

EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith



FEBRUARY 8
 
John 21:15
So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter,
Simone, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?
He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that
I love thee. He saith into him, Feed my lambs.
 
Notwithstanding all my imperfections though I often grieve thee,
   wrong thy love, and
      fear to trust thy word;
though I am too much influenced by the things of time,
   though dark and direful corruption work within me,
      though Satan sometimes overcomes me;
thou searchest the heart,
    thou readest the inmost workings of the soul, and
         thou knowest that I love thee.
 
Thou knowest that there is imbedded in the depths of my nature, a principle that cannot, will not be satisfied without thee.
 
Therefore I sigh for thy presence, long for thy love to be shed abroad in my heart, pray for the glory to be revealed to my soul, and desire above all things to claim and enjoy thee as mine.
 
 I love thee, therefore I am dissatisfied with the world.
 
I love thee, therefore I desire to please thee.
 
I love thee, therefore nothing wounds me so deeply as the thought of being separated from thee.
 
O that I loved thee more! I want to feel my heart glow whenever I think of thy name.
 
I want to do always those things that please thee and to stand ready and willing at any moment, in any way, to depart and be for ever with thee.
 
Lord it is my chief complaint,
That my love is weak and faint!
Yet I love thee, and adore,
O for grace to love thee more!
 
James Smith


No comments: