Thursday, September 28, 2023

JESUS THE COVENANT.

 
CHRIST ALONE


SEPTEMBER 28


JESUS THE COVENANT.


I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and 
  will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and 
  give thee for a covenant of the people, 
   for a light of the Gentiles;              Isaiah 42:6.


Many people are puzzled and perplexed with 
  the doctrine of the covenants. 

I avoid all this when I look at Jesus as God's covenant. 

He says, "I have made a covenant with my chosen;" and 

then, "Hear him." 

If I would understand God's covenant, 
  I must study Jesus; 
   I must listen to him. 

He says, "And this is the will of him that sent me, 
  that every one which seeth the Son, and
   believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and
     I will raise him up at the last day."


The covenant appears to be this: 
  The Father agrees to accept the obedience, sufferings, 
  and death of Jesus, instead of the obedience, sufferings, 
   and death of the sinner. 

The Father then promises to give eternal life to every one 
  that trusts in the perfect work of Jesus, and pleads it 
  before him for pardon and acceptance. 

All that the Lawgiver requires is exacted of Jesus. 


All that the sinner needs is given on the ground 
  of what Jesus did and suffered. 
If I agree to take Christ for my Lord and Savior, and 
  trust in his blood and obedience for 
  my pardon and justification,
  God agrees to accept me, and pardon and justify me, 
    for Jesus' sake.

Thus, God is in Christ reconciling the world unto himself, 
  not imputing their trespasses unto them: and 
  Jesus becomes sin for us, who knew no sin, 
  that we may be made the righteousness of God in him. 

So that, in Christ, God appears just, and 
  yet the justifier of him that believes in Jesus.


In CHRIST ALONE I see all the conditions of 
  the covenant fulfilled, 
  all the promises of the covenant treasured up, and 
  all the blessings of the covenant presented to sinners. 

O Jesus, I will look to you as God's covenant, and 
  expect the fulfillment of all its precious promises 
    through you, and through you alone!


Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, 
  and your soul shall live; and
  I will make an everlasting covenant with you, 
  even the sure mercies of David.        Isaiah 55:3.


 JAMES SMITH 1855

No comments: