Monday, September 4, 2023

THE COMMENDATION.

 

SEPTEMBER 4

THE COMMENDATION.
 
Thou art fairer than the children of men: 
grace is poured into thy lips: 
therefore God hath blessed thee for ever. 
                                            Psalm 45:2
 
Reader, I wish to commend One 
  to your attention, who is worthy of your love
  and suited to your circumstances.
 
As an immortal being, 
  you have many needs, and 
  many inward aspirations.

Those needs, no creature can supply; 
  those aspirations, no creature can satisfy.

But Jesus can.
  He has all you need.
  He is all you can desire.

Christ alone is enough.
 
I can speak from experience. 
  I had those needs, 
  I had those aspirations.

I sought satisfaction from many quarters 
  and in many ways,
  but only to meet with disappointment.

At length my attention was directed to Jesus.
I heard him spoken of;
 I read his Word,
 I applied to him, and
 I found that he was just what I needed;
 and, of a spiritual nature, all I needed.

I looked to him;
 I believed in him;
 I received from him. 

I had peace.
Peace! 
 I had more;
 I was filled with joy; 
 I was happy.
 I had found the priceless pearl
 I was made for eternity.
 
Many years have passed since then,
 but every year deepens my sense 
  of the excellency of Jesus,
  and heightens my views of his adaptation 
   to the needs of man.

To know him, is to love him;
to believe in him, is to be saved.

No one can tell, but he who has tasted it,
the unutterable joy that flows 
  from fellowship with him.

This glorious Savior, I wish to commend to you;
  and my object will be to
  point out some of his excellencies,
  to show his exact adaptation to you,
  in order to induce you to believe on his name,
  and seek a saving interest in his
   glorious person and finished work.
 
Let them praise the name of the LORD: 
  for his name alone is excellent; 
  his glory is above the earth and heaven.
                                         Psalm 148:13

JAMES SMITH 1855

No comments: