Tuesday, September 26, 2023

JESUS OUR EXAMPLE.

 CHRIST ALONE


SEPTEMBER 26



JESUS OUR EXAMPLE.

For even hereunto were ye called: 
  because Christ also suffered for us, 
   leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
                                                         1 Peter 2:21


Christianity is constantly suffering from the conduct of its professors. 

They do not put off the old man with his deeds, 
  neither do they put on the new man, 
  which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. 

They profess to look to Christ as a Savior,
  but they do not take Christ for their example

But these things must not be divided. 

He who died for our sins, set us also an example 
  that we should follow in his steps. 

CHRIST ALONE should be our standard, and
  likeness to him should be our aim. 

We are only so far christianized as we are like Christ.


Jesus says, "Learn of me." 

Not only learn by my teaching,
   but learn by my life

Do as you see me do; 
  act as you see me act. 

The life of Jesus is the model after which the Holy Spirit works. 
As the Spirit of Christ, his work is to conform us to Christ. 
And under his teaching and assistance, 
  it should be our daily aim to resemble Christ in
   our temper, disposition, and general deportment.


Am I called to suffer? 

Let me ask, "How did Christ suffer?" and 
  then seek grace to suffer just as he did. 

Am I called to work for God? Let me ask,
   "How did Christ work?" and then pray for grace
   that I may work just as Jesus did. 

And so of all the rest, that my life should be somewhat 
  a reflection of the life of Christ. In my conduct,
   I may in some degree reproduce the conduct of the Lord Jesus. 

No one can tell how nearly he may be conformed
   to the life of Jesus if he makes this his constant 
    prayer and habitual aim. 

Grace can do wonders, and God gives more grace. 

We are not now what we were once, and 
  we may become very much more like 
  to Jesus than we are now. 

Holy Spirit, make us just like our beloved Lord!


For I have given you an example, 
  that ye should do as I have done to you. 
                                               John 13:15


 James Smith 1855

No comments: