Monday, September 11, 2023

JESUS THE WORD OF GOD.

 CHRIST ALONE

SEPTEMBER 11

JESUS THE WORD OF GOD.


"In the beginning was the Word, and
   the Word was with God, and
     the Word was God."             John 1:1


Words are the representatives of thoughts

God had a great and a glorious thought in his infinite heart, 
 which no mere words could embody or represent; and
 he gave Jesus to represent that thought. 

If I would get at God's heart,
  it must be through Jesus.
If I would know God's thoughts,
  I must study Jesus. 

He tells us, in one sweet passage, 
  what God's thought was, and 
  what he came to be and to do
  "God so loved the world, 
   that he gave his only begotten Son, 
   that whosoever believeth in him should not perish,
    but have everlasting life."


God's thought was our salvation,
 our salvation by mere grace
  our salvation to be realized and 
     enjoyed by simple faith in Jesus. 

He sent Jesus to express this thought, 
  to give utterance to his infinite love. 

Jesus, therefore, in his life, in his works, 
  in his discourses, in his sufferings, 
  and especially in his death,
 represents the deep thoughts that had been 
   working in the mighty heart of God.


My soul, would you know what God has thought, 
  is now thinking, will ever think? 

Study Jesus; for Christ alone is the Word 
  that embodies and makes known the 
  glorious thoughts of God! 

Through Jesus I learn to know God's mind, 
  and God's nature. 
I see that God is love, pure love, 
  to all who embrace his Word, and 
  are reconciled to him by the death of his Son.

O Jesus, I will look upon you as the living, 
  working, speaking Word of the Father, 
  by whom I may not only come to know him,
   but to rejoice in him!


O Spirit of the Lord, reveal Jesus 
  to my mind more clearly, more fully! 

Unfold Jesus to me, that so I may know, love,
  and give glory to the Father!

I would henceforth study Christ more Christ, 
  who leads to the Father.


And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: 
  and his name is called The Word of God. 
                                          Revelation 19:13


 JAMES SMITH 1855


No comments: