Saturday, April 24, 2021

AM I A GOD AT HAND

 

EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith



APRIL 24
 
Jeremiah 23:23
Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD,
and not a God afar off?
 
The Christian has never far to run for a friend. 
The Lord is always near unto him. 
He is a God at hand.
 
Ready to help. 
This fact we should endeavour to realize. 
It would cheer us in gloom.
 
Preserve us in temptation.
 
Support us in trouble.
 
Raise us above our fears.
 
Keep us back from sin.
 
Encourage us in duty.
 
Prove a stimulus to exertion when ready to decline.
 
Friends may be removed to a distance, but my God is at hand.
 
He is present with heaven and earth at command.
 
He is present to pity, to reprove, to counsel and to sustain.
 
But while he is near to us, 
   he is equally in everyplace; 
   he is with our friends in distant places, and 
   he is with our enemies in their most secret hiding-places; therefore 
   he will frustrate their designs, and overrule their opposition for our good.
 
Let us retire to-night impressed with the thought’
 “God is at hand;” 
   he will watch over me while I sleep;
      he will guard me; 
        nothing can happen but what he permits; and 
            he stands pledged to make all things work together for my good.
 
My soul, I charge thee never to forget that thy God is nigh at hand!
 
Lord, to my spirit’s gaze reveal
Thy perfect majesty and grace,
And let me heart thine influence feel,
Unworthy to behold thy face.
 
James Smith.
 

No comments: