Thursday, April 29, 2021

THOU SAYEST, I AM RICH

 


EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith



APRIL 29
 
Revelation 3:17
Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased 
with goods, and have need of nothing; and 
knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable,
 and poor and blind, and naked:
 
It is one thing for the Lord to assure his poor people that they are rich,
   on account of the provision he has made for them; and
   another for the conceited, lukewarm professor to say, “I am rich.”
 
Spiritual persons are always sensible of their poverty, and they are taught to live upon the fulness of Christ for all they need. It is always a bad sign when we begin to admire our graces, actions, or usefulness; for it is evident that we have taken our eye off the Lord Jesus Christ, and Satan will soon gain advantage over us.
 
We are never so safe, or so happy,
   as when we lie at the Saviour’s feet,
       sensible of our poverty, and
           seek from his fulness grace to perform every action,
               and to enjoy every privilege.
 
Those who fancy that they are rich,
   are declared by the Saviour to be poor,
   wretched, miserable, blind and naked;
   but he counsels them to buy of him gold tried in the fire,
   white raiment, and eye-salve that they may see.
 
Let us then beware of boasting of any attainments we fancy we have made.
 
“Blessed are ye poor, for yours is the kingdom of heaven.”
 
Saviour! my misery I confess,
I deeply feel my want of grace,
A needy sinner I!
Wretched, and blind, and stript of all.
Save me, at thy feet I call,
Or else I pine and die.
 
James Smith

No comments: