Sunday, April 4, 2021

I KNOW WHOM I HAVE BELIEVED

 


EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith



APRIL 4
 
1 Timothy 1:12
For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless
I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and
am persuaded that he is able to keep that which
I have committed unto him against that day.
 
It is unspeakable mercy to know Christ. It lays at the root of our happiness.
 
It is essential to our confidence.
 
But unto us it is given to know him.
 
We know him from his word.
 
We know him from the testimony of his saints.
 
But what is still better, we know him by the teaching of the Holy Spirit.
 
But we only know in part.
 
We know his person, so as to love him.
 
His character, so as to trust in him.
 
His perfect work, so as to rely upon it alone for our acceptance with God.
 
His infinite fulness, so as to repair to it for all we need.
 
His tender compassion, so as to go to him for sympathy in suffering and sorrow.
 
His willingness to receive sinners, so as to recommend poor sinners to go to him for life and peace.
 
We know he is able to save.
 
We know he will never leave or forsake one poor soul who trusts in him.
 
We know him, and therefore trust our all in his hands.
 
We know him, and therefore are not ashamed to avow that he is our Lord and our God.
 
We know who he is, the Son of God. What he is, the Saviour.
 
Where he is, at the right hand of God.
 
What he has done, he died for our sins, and rose again for our justification.
 
 
I know in whom I have believ’d,
His Spirit doth my heart assure,
That what he hath from me receiv’d,
His constant love will keep me secure.
 
James Smith
 

No comments: