Monday, April 19, 2021

LORD, HELP ME.

 
EVENING DEVOTION by James Smith



APRIL 19
 
Matthew 15:25
Then came she and worshipped him, saying, 
Lord, help me.
 
This prayer came from the heart of a poor woman, and it went to the heart of Jesus. It is brief, but comprehensive.
 
It is always suitable, but at times especially so. It is a mercy to know and feel our weakness, for it is only then that we heartily cry to the Lord for strength.
 
In every duty we have to perform, in every trail we have to meet, in every trouble through which we pass, under all the pains and sorrows we have to endure, we may consistently cry, “Lord, help me.”
 
We need the help of God, he has freely promised it, let us therefore seek and receive it.
 
Let this be our daily prayer-
   Help me to cleave to Jesus with full purpose of heart;
   help me to do thy will, cheerfully and constantly;
   help me to persevere through all difficulties, and
   press towards the mark for the prize of my high calling;
   help me gratefully to acknowledge thy hand in prosperity, and
   meekly to submit to thy will in adversity;
   help me to conquer my foes, master the corruptions of my own heart,
   resist all the temptations presented to me.
 
If such petitions are presented in faith, if they are the language of the soul, we may daily say, “The Lord is my helper, I will not fear what man can do unto me.”
 
 
Lord, assist me with thy grace,
Helpless at thy feet to lie,
Well to close my various race,
Well to suffer, and to die.
 
 
James Smith


No comments: