Thursday, May 2, 2024

Beside me there is no Saviour

 

MAY 2.
 
Beside me there is no Saviour.
Isaiah 43:11

 
THUS Jehovah speaks.
 
It requires a God to save a sinner;
  and it is the greatest work that God has ever done.
 
If the Saviour were not divine,
  he would not meet our case.
 
Our sins demanded an infinite atonement.
Our situation required an omnipotent deliverer.
 
Others may help, but only God can save.
 
We are therefore shut up to the Lord Jesus,
  for there is no other name under heaven,
  given among men, by which we can be saved.
 
It is in vain that we look for another.
 
The case of those who reject him is desperate.
 
Let us therefore look to him alone,
  let us seek salvation from him who can deliver us.
 
He can not only deliver us from the guilt of sin,
  but from the power of it.
He will not only save us from condemnation,
  but from the cause of it.
He will not only save us from spiritual evils,
  but from temporary ones too.
 
No one can deliver us at all times,
  in all places, from all evils,
    but the Lord, he can.
 
The Lord therefore must be our trust and our shield.
 
To him we must repair in trouble and
  to him we must cry in danger.
 
Jesus alone has power to save,
A sinner vile and loss like me,
His blood he for my ransom gave,
His power divine has set me free;
To him I look, in him I trust,
His word and cross or all my boast.
 
James Smith 1849


No comments: