Friday, December 31, 2021

God Hath Dealt Graciously

Evening Devotion 




DECEMBER 31
 
… God hath dealt graciously with me,
Genesis 33:11
 
Is not this our language to-night?
 
Brought through another year; a year of trials, temptations, and storms; and yet a year crowned with innumerable mercies.
 
Every want supplied.
 
Every promise fulfilled.
 
Ten thousand evils prevented.
 
Unnumbered blessings bestowed.
 
What sins we have committed!
 
What duties we have neglected!
 
What privileges we have slighted!
 
How faithfulness we have been, and yet how faithful our God.
 
Not one thing has failed of all that he promised, all is come to pass.
 
Our obligations are infinite.
 
Our praises should be constant.
 
Our lives should be entirely devoted.
 
Our persons wholly consecrated to God.
 
Yes, he hath dealt graciously with me, in pardoning me sins, in hearing my prayers, in subduing my foes, in protecting my person, in guiding my feet, and enabling me to hold on in his good ways.
 
O my soul, trust in the Lord, he is thy help and thy shield!
 
Call upon him in every future trouble.
 
Surrender to him all that is fear and valuable in thy esteem.
 
Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him, and trust him more heartily than ever,
 
Then in the history of my age,
When men review my days,
They’ll read his love in every page,
In every line his praise.
 
James Smith
 

 


No comments: