Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Grace To Help In Time Of Need

 
Evening Devotion


DECEMBER 1
 
…grace to help in time of need.
-Hebrews 4:16
 
The term grace includes the wisdom and strength, which may be necessary to enable us to act aright, under all circumstances.
 
We daily need grace.
 
But there are seasons in which we need grace especially;
  as in prosperity, to keep us from getting proud and presumptuous;
  in adversity, to keep us from complaining or desponding:
  in temptation, to preserve us from its snares: and
  in death, that we may die to the Lord’s glory.
 
Grace is to be had.
 
There is a throne erected on purpose to dispense it.
 
It is to be had in answer to prayer.
 
“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”
 
Let us not attempt any thing in our own strength, or
  fancy that we can accomplish any thing by your wisdom;
    but let us love under a deep sense of our need of grace,
      of God’s willingness to bestow it, and
        of the incalculable benefits to be derived from it:
          thus let us approach the throne, pleading the name of Jesus.
 
O for grace to keep me in health,
  to cheer me in sickness,
    but especially to make me victorious in death!
 
The grace I every moment want,
The fresh supplies of faith and love,
God of exhaustless mercy, grant,
In answer to my Friend above.
Increase my faith, confirm my hope,
Until I yield my spirit up.
 
James Smith
 


No comments: