Saturday, June 15, 2024

I HAVE SET THE LORD ALWAYS BEFORE ME.

 

JUNE 15.
 
I have set the Lord always before me.
Psalm 16:8

 
HE that lives under an habitable sense of the Lord's presence,
  will live a life of comfort, holiness, and love.
 
He that sets God before him as 
  an example which he is to imitate,
  and keeps his glory in view in all that he does,
  will be a consistent Christian.
 
But it is to be feared that such characters are very rare.
 
The Lord Jesus did so constantly,
  the whole time he sojourned on earth;
  David purposed to do so, but he failed.
  He did not keep his eyes fixed on God's holiness, or
  his heart in the enjoyment of God's love, or
  he never would have fallen as he did.
 
But no doubt the purpose was a preservative,
  so long as he paid attention to it; and
  discovered that his heart was in a good state 
   when he formed it.
 
Beloved, let us set the Lord before us this day.
 
Let his law be our rule,
  his love our solace,
  his glory our aim, and
  communion with him our chief delight.
 
Let us copy his mercy,
  imitate his holiness, and
  resemble him in the exercise of justice.
 
In a word, let us do justly, love mercy, and
  walk humbly with our God.
 
He that sets God before him in life,
  will have nothing to fear in death,
  or beyond the grave.
 
Before my eyes my Lord I place,
Ne’er shall my soul forget his grace;
Near my right-hand, my guard confest,
My God on whom unmoved I rest.
 
James Smith 1849

No comments: